Fraser Valley Bandits Fall In Inaugural Game

Ben Lypka | The Chilliwack Progress • May 11, 2019

Guelph Nighthawks down Bandits 106-103 in front of packed house at Abbotsford Centre

The game featured dancers, drummers, dunks, (some) defence and a handful of other “d” – words, but the Fraser Valley Bandits debut didn’t include that ‘w’ word – win.

The Canadian Elite Basketball League squad welcomed the Guelph Nighthawks to the Abbotsford Centre on Thursday night, and an estimated crowd of over 3,000 were vocal, but the team fell 106-103 in the game’s dying moments.

Bandits guard Anton Gill tossed an airball from beyond the arc with just 3.4 seconds remaining, and that sealed the deal for the locals.

Things were tight early on, with the Bandits up 19-18 after one. Guelph caught fire offensively in the second quarter, and entered half-time up 53-50.

The Bandits began clicking in the third quarter, leading 77-75 after three, and the club was up as much as eight points late in the game but the Nighthawks poured it on and ramped up the defensive intensity.

Bandits head coach Peter Guarasci said it was a solid debut for his club, but more time together – both on and off the court is needed.

“In terms of compete level for our guys and attempting to play together I think it wasn’t too bad,” he said, following the loss. “But I thought we got away from things we’ve done in practice offensively. It’s a very new group, and the ball didn’t move around as much as we’d like it to. It became a bit of one man trying to find solutions at some points. We just need more practice time with this group.”

Guarasci said he liked the way his team came out of the second half, and wants to try to capture more of that play.

“I thought we had a good stretch in the third where we competed really hard and defended,” he said. “That gave us some energy and we shared the ball a bit more on offence. But then it became disjointed – it’s nothing to do with the effort it’s just a matter of getting more practice.”

He added he was impressed with the play of forwards Drew Urquhart and Troy Gottselig, as well as Gill.

“Troy gave us some great minutes and Anton Gill for his first pro game was very aggressive and had some good moments,” he said.

Guarasci said there is still work to be done crafting the identity of the team.

“We need to work on ball screen coverage and we weren’t active enough on the ball,” he said. “Team defence and being on the same page offensively are also what we need to work on, but that’s just reps.”

From an operations standpoints, there were a few minor hiccups, but Bandits marketing and communications manager Andrew Savory said he was pleased with opening day.

“The fan engagement was great and preparation was a huge thing for us and we want to continue to do that,” he said. “What we want to do is make sure people have a better experience next time. We can’t show the same event twice, and we want fans to feel like it’s a new entertainment experience each game.”

He pointed out the crowd was loud on day one.

“We’re really happy with our numbers tonight and I think we, along with Saskatchewan [who also hosted a game tonight], have set a strong precedent for the league,” he added.

Urquhart said the atmosphere was electric.

“The vibe here was rocking,” Urquhart said, noting he previously played in Estonia. “We really appreciate everyone coming out to the game and supporting us. The facility is fantastic and when the crowd got into it more at the end of the game, we could see the potential this city and the league has.”

Guarasci agreed, and also tipped his hat to Bandits staffers for putting it all together.

“It was fantastic atmosphere tonight,” he said. “If you knew how hard our staff works behind the scene to put this together, with very few hours of sleep, they poured themselves into it to make this happen. They have to be commended.”

Game statistics were not made available at the time of this story.

The Bandits now travel to Guelph for a re-match on May 18. The next home game for the team is on May 22, when the Hamilton Honey Badgers come to town.

For more on the team, visit thebandits.ca.


LATEST NEWS

By Bandits Staff February 19, 2026
Vancouver Bandits forward Mitch Creek has been called up to the Australia men’s national team for the upcoming 2027 FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers, as announced by Basketball Australia. The reigning CEBL Most Valuable Player and All-CEBL First Team member captained the Bandits during the 2025 season, where he appeared and started in 20 games and averaged 24.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.5 steals in 34.4 minutes played. Following his stellar sophomore campaign with the Bandits, he signed with U-BT Cluj-Napoca in Romania for the 2025-26 season in EuroCup, one of the premier pro basketball leagues in the world. Hailing from Horsham, Victoria, Creek has appeared in 20 games for the Australia Boomers. This call up marks his first appearance for his country since 2019, where he competed at the 2019 FIBA World Cup Qualifiers. Australia, who are ranked sixth in FIBA's men's world rankings, will face Guam on Thursday, February 26 at 1:00 a.m. PT before taking on the Philippines on Sunday, March 1 at 1:30 a.m. PT.
By Bandits Staff February 13, 2026
3x3 basketball action will be taking over Guildford Town Centre this Family Day long weekend as the Vancouver Bandits and Basketball BC host 3x3 Clutch. 3x3 Clutch is a joint partnership between BC's professional basketball club and Basketball BC that is designed to increase awareness and interest in 3x3 basketball through collaborative events hosted across British Columbia throughout the calendar year. Set to run Friday, February 13, to Monday, February 16, 3x3 Clutch will welcome nearly 250 young athletes from across the Lower Mainland competing on a custom-built court setup at Guildford Town Centre. Athletes will be competing in the following age groups; Boys U12, U13, U14 and Girls U12, U13. This weekend’s games at 3x3 Clutch are open to the public; spectators are welcome to attend for free as no admission fee will be charged. This upcoming 3x3 Clutch event will mark the first time that a 3x3 basketball tournament will be held inside a shopping centre in British Columbia, following in the footsteps of recent 3x3 basketball events in Canada including in Edmonton during Summer 2025. “Hosting the first-ever 3x3 basketball tournament inside a shopping centre in British Columbia speaks to how creative and accessible this sport can be. Our partnership with Guildford Town Centre is built around growing the game in meaningful ways and bringing community together,” says Dylan Kular, Vancouver Bandits team president. “3x3 basketball thrives in community spaces and this event shows how the game can adapt, grow, and reach new audiences in exciting ways.” In addition to exciting 3x3 basketball action, the weekend will also feature several youth development clinics led by Bandits coaching staff, and interactive basketball opportunities for shoppers and the public. "As we approach our fourth year partnering with the Vancouver Bandits, we are thrilled to host the 3x3 Clutch basketball tournament at Guildford Town Centre. This action-packed weekend promises excitement for both players and spectators, and demonstrates our ongoing commitment to supporting our community through dynamic events that bring people together," says Kiran Deol, Marketing Manager at Guildford Town Centre. The sport of 3x3 basketball is a fast-paced rendition of the traditional 5-on-5 game that is played globally; thanks to its surging popularity and global interest in the 3x3 basketball format, the sport was incorporated at the Olympics for the first time at the Tokyo 2020 Summer Games. 3x3 basketball is played in a half-court setting, thus requiring less space to play and also affords each player more opportunities to touch the ball given the reduced amount of players on the court. Launched in the summer of 2023 and featuring its inaugural tournament at the Canadian Elite Basketball League’s 2023 Championship Weekend festivities at Langley Events Centre, the goal of 3x3 Clutch is to provide a recreational and competitive framework for youth and adult 3x3 basketball. For more information, visit www.thebandits.ca/3x3clutch .
By Bandits Staff February 10, 2026
The Vancouver Bandits, BC’s professional basketball team in the Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL), are committed to making a positive impact through basketball and growing the game across British Columbia, and this dedication was highlighted this past week in Kelowna and the Okanagan area. Coming off the recent announcement of Kelowna HOOPFEST, a brand-new basketball festival featuring a CEBL neutral-site home game in partnership with the City of Kelowna, Bandits head coach Kyle Julius spent time at five Okanagan-area secondary schools and both of Kelowna’s post-secondary men’s basketball teams, as part of the Vancouver Bandits third-annual Bandits School Tour. Julius and Bandits staff visited Mount Boucherie Secondary School, Immaculata Regional High School, Okanagan Mission Secondary, Rutland Secondary School and Kelowna Secondary, as well as the men’s basketball teams at UBC Okanagan and Okanagan College, providing dedicated and tailored practices along with motivational talks and training materials. Launched in 2023, the Bandits School Tour is supported by the Bandits Community Foundation, Preston Chevrolet and Envision Financial and offers a unique opportunity for student-athletes and volunteer coaches to learn directly from BC’s only professional basketball coach. “What stood out most during our visit was the impact basketball can have when it is rooted in mentorship and connection; it is clear how vibrant the basketball and business ecosystem is in the Okanagan,” said Bandits team president Dylan Kular. “We are thankful to the Okanagan and Kelowna communities for welcoming us so openly, and this is only the beginning. We are committed to being present and intentional in the lead-up to Kelowna HOOPFEST from June 5th to 7th.” In addition to the Bandits School Tour, Julius and members of Bandits staff had the opportunity to connect with various Okanagan business, media and community leaders, including attending the 51st annual Western Canada Tournament at Kelowna Secondary and a Kelowna Rockets hockey game. Nearly 1,000 tickets have already been sold for Kelowna HOOPFEST, tipping off Saturday, June 6 at 6:00 p.m. PM at Prospera Place between the Vancouver Bandits and Saskatoon Mamba, and speaks to the growing interest in Bandits Basketball and the CEBL across the province. More information and tickets are available at thebandits.ca .
By Bandits Staff February 3, 2026
The Vancouver Bandits and the City of Kelowna announced today that the club will host its first neutral-site home game in franchise history when it faces Saskatchewan Professional Basketball Club on Saturday, June 6, with tip-off set for 6:00 p.m. PT at Prospera Place in Kelowna. This Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL) matchup will serve as the marquee event of Kelowna HOOPFEST, a new basketball festival presented in partnership with the City of Kelowna designed to celebrate basketball at every level. Kelowna HOOPFEST will feature the Vancouver Bandits vs. Saskatchewan Professional Basketball Club, a youth 5x5 tournament, a coaching clinic, and additional programming to be announced.  “This is a historic moment for our club and for professional basketball in British Columbia,” said Vancouver Bandits team president Dylan Kular. “We are bringing the same incredible energy our Bandits fans get at Envision Financial Court at Langley Events Centre. Fans can expect fast-paced, high-energy basketball paired with an electric game-day atmosphere, and a fan-first experience that will bring communities together inside and outside the arena. Bringing our first neutral-site home game to Kelowna as part of Kelowna HOOPFEST is about growing the game and connecting with new communities.” Kelowna HOOPFEST reflects the City of Kelowna’s continued investment in hosting major sporting events that strengthen connection, inspire youth participation, and drive economic impact. “Kelowna is excited to host the Vancouver Bandits and Saskatchewan Professional Basketball Club at Prospera Place,” said Mayor Tom Dyas. “Kelowna continues to build its reputation as a premier event-hosting city, and we are proud to welcome the Canadian Elite Basketball League to our community. The first-ever Kelowna HOOPFEST and surrounding events will bring people to our city, support local businesses, and provide a boost to our local economy.” The multi-day event represents an important step in expanding the reach of both professional basketball and the CEBL across Canada. “Bringing high-energy basketball from some of Canada’s most dynamic players into our communities across the country is what defines our league,” said CEBL President Tyler Mazereeuw. “The Vancouver Bandits will be turning Kelowna into a multi-day Canadian Elite Basketball League experience, giving residents of Kelowna a firsthand look at the energy and passion that is driving our rapidly growing fanbase from coast to coast.” Tickets for Vancouver Bandits vs. Saskatchewan Professional Basketball Club at Kelowna HOOPFEST are on sale now. Additional details surrounding Kelowna HOOPFEST programming will be announced in the coming weeks. More information and tickets are available at thebandits.ca .

LATEST VIDEO

By Bandits Staff August 18, 2025
A message from Vancouver Bandits head coach and general manager Kyle Julius on the 2025 season and thoughts on the CEBL Western Conference Semifinal.
By Bandits Staff August 16, 2025
Highlights of the Vancouver Bandits against the Calgary Surge on August 16th, 2025.
By Bandits Staff August 4, 2025
Highlights of the Vancouver Bandits against the Winnipeg Sea Bears on August 3rd, 2025.
By Bandits Staff July 26, 2025
Highlights of the Vancouver Bandits against the Calgary Surge on July 25, 2025.